Thursday, September 6, 2007

Documentary

I suggest that we do a documentary on global warming. Our future is being affected by this phenomenon and educating people on the topic would not only help inform others, but we too, would learn from our research.

The first perspective that I suggest is how global warming affects humans. This should be our first perspective if we choose this topic, as it directly affects all of us. Global warming can affect us in one way by our health. As global warming worsens, the rate of infectious diseases and death rates continue to rise. Also, if the temperatures keep rising at the current rate, the human race will not be able to survive the extreme heat. Global warming is especially tough on people who live in third world countries, as they are more susceptible to death and disease; it is ironic though, how they are the ones who contribute the least to this catastrophe. Teaching people about how global warming affects us will be the best way to help them comprehend that action needs to be taken.

The second perspective that I propose is how global warming affects animals. Without the animals around us, humans would not be able to survive; we depend on them to complete our ecosystem, we can’t create some artificial gadget that replaces the animal kingdom. When the ice in the artic, that many animals depend on, melts, the animals are without homes and they therefore drown and go extinct. Also, when this ice melts, whole islands will be submerged and all the animals on those islands will go extinct. When the water heats up because there are no more caps of ice, reefs will die and the fish that live on those reefs will die and go extinct. Now you can see the picture; the domino effect on the animal kingdom. Because one species dies, another one dies, and another, and so on, until only humans are left. Only we can stop the damage we have caused.

The third perspective I suggest is how global warming affects the earth. Global warming has the capability to change the geography of the world; islands we know could disappear from the world’s surface. Studies already show that the earth is the hottest that it has ever been in the last four hundred years, maybe two thousand years. I have seen charts and graphs and they all bewilder me because the earth’s temperature has been rising at a constant rate for a while and then the charts just shoot up to the sky at almost a vertical incline. As the temperature rises, we can all see the difference in our earth. When I went back to Virginia this past summer, the pollution and temperature change were so bad that we had nineteen code orange days, one code red day, and one code purple day; yellow is a normal day. (http://www.mwcog.org/environment/air/forecast/airquality_guide.asp) This is a definite sign that our atmosphere is worsening.

All three perspectives are affected by global warming. I am confident that people will learn from these perspectives. The viewer’s experience would be incomplete without the different perspectives I suggest because each perspective affects the other. You cannot just choose which out of the three perspectives you wish to have, it is all or nothing.

I would use these perspectives to make the same point, as they are all building on each other. I feel that using these perspectives to convey that global warming is not really happening would not be accurate; telling people that global warming doesn’t matter is like saying our lives do not matter. The above perspectives help us learn the great overall effects of global warming.

No comments: