Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Maria Sharapova – My Idol


Ever since Maria Sharapova entered the pro tour for tennis in 2001, I have always viewed her as my idol. Playing tennis myself, I admire her class and style on and off the court.

Maria Yuryevna Sharapova was born in Siberia, Russia on April 19th, 1987. When she was two years old, she and her parents were forced to move because of the Chernobyl nuclear accident; the radiation was not safe for her. Maria and her parents moved to southern Russia, where she lived until she was seven. When she was seven years old, Yuri, Sharapova’s father, brought her to the United States, so she could attend the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Florida. Unfortunately, her mother, Yelena was not able to come with Yuri and Maria, as she had visa restrictions, but in the next few years she was able to come. Maria has kept her citizenship to Russia, even though she has spent most of her life in the United States.

Maria has won two grand slams, Wimbledon (2004) and the US Open (2006.) She has made a total of $9,674,001 in career prize money, and created a foundation called the “Maria Sharapova Foundation.” She has donated $100,000 to UNDP Chernobyl-recovery projects. She has also been appointed a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations Development Programme.

Maria Sharapova is an inspiration to me every time she steps on the court; I admire her character and disposition. When she plays, she always stands straight and tall, and with confidence, conveying a message of “I will win.” She not only portrays the image of strength and toughness, but plays with the same meaningfulness; transmitting intimidation to her opponents before even stepping on the court. Her maturity and poise has always been beyond her age.

Maria is a role model to me and whenever I go on the court I always do my best to follow in her footsteps.

1 comment: